The eligibility criteria are used to ensure the organisation has the attributes that Sport NZ is looking for in an investment partner and whether it has the capability to receive and manage public monies.
Sport NZ will receive applications for eligibility twice a year. The eligibility criteria only apply to national sports organisations (NSOs) and national regional organisations (NROs).
All applications are considered within six weeks of the closing date.
There are two categories of criteria that we will be considering. Our eligibility criteria include a mix of mandatory and evaluative criteria, and reflect basic requirements of good governance and management of public funding. Some requirements are only applicable to sport organisations.
Category One: Mandatory
Participation and Performance
The organisation has a focus on increasing participation and/or winning on the world stage.
- complies with the World Anti-Doping Code and accepts the jurisdiction of the Sports Tribunal (or has acceptable policies in place for addressing disputes*).
- has current status as an incorporated society, registered charity, or charitable trust.
- has management systems that are responsive to addressing any concerns;
- is able to provide financial reports that have been audited or subject to an engagement review by a chartered accountant for the previous three financial years of its existence;
- has the capacity and capability to provide accurate reporting on participation and performance; and
- has an acceptable strategic plan covering three or more years.
Category Two: Evaluative
Promotion, supporting or delivering sport and/or recreation is a core function
- To what extent does the organisation focus on the delivery of sport and/or recreation outcomes?
- Is it a national body?
- Can other organisations affiliate to it?
- Does the organisation perform a coordination role across similar organisations in New Zealand?
- Is the organisation structured in a way that provides a cohesive and collective approach to sport and recreation administration?
- Is the organisation affiliated to, and recognised by, an international federation where one exists?
- Is the organisation affiliated to the New Zealand Olympic Committee*?
Participation and/or performance
- How well does this organisation perform on increasing participation?
- What have been the participation figures for the previous three years?
- How well does the work of the organisation tie in with government priority of more New Zealanders winning on the world stage? *
Supporting sport and recreation
- How well does the work of the organisation tie in with the government priority of more New Zealanders participating in supporting and delivering sport and recreation opportunities?
- How successful has the funding relationship been between the organisation and its funders, including Sport NZ?
- How well has the organisation partnered with other organisations?
- Barring any Sport NZ investment, is the organisation able to generate sufficient financial resources to meet its administrative commitments without compromising its reserves or ability to carry out its mandate.
NSO's that meet our investment criteria
|Archery New Zealand Inc||Athletics New Zealand||Badminton NZ|
|Baseball New Zealand||Basketball New Zealand||Bowls New Zealand|
|Boxing New Zealand Inc||Canoe Racing New Zealand||Canoe Slalom NZ|
|Climbing New Zealand||Croquet New Zealand||Cycling NZ|
|Diving New Zealand||Equestrian Sports New Zealand||Flying New Zealand|
|Gliding New Zealand||Gymnastics New Zealand||Hockey NZ|
|Ice Speed Skating New Zealand||International Taekwon-Do Foundation (ITFNZ)||Karate New Zealand|
|Kart Sport New Zealand||Marching New Zealand||Motorcycling NZ|
|Motorsport NZ (Inc)||Netball NZ||New Zealand AFL Inc|
|New Zealand American Football Federation||New Zealand Canoe Federation||New Zealand Confederation of Billiard Sports Inc|
|New Zealand Football||New Zealand Ice Figure Skating Association||New Zealand Mixed Martial Arts Federation|
|New Zealand Petanque Association||New Zealand Polocrosse Inc||New Zealand Powerlifting Federation|
|New Zealand Rivers Association||New Zealand Rugby League||New Zealand Shooting Federation|
|New Zealand Sport Fishing Council||New Zealand Water Polo Association||NZ Cricket|
|NZ Curling Association||NZ Darts Council||NZ Golf Incorporated|
|NZ Ice Hockey Federation||NZ Indoor Bowls||NZ Judo Federation|
|NZ Orienteering Federation||NZ Pony Clubs Association||NZ Power Boat Federation|
|NZ Rugby||NZ Water Ski Association||Olympic Weightlifting New Zealand|
|Rowing New Zealand||Shearing Sports New Zealand (Inc)||Skate NZ|
|Snow Sports NZ Incorporated||Softball New Zealand||Speedway New Zealand|
|Squash New Zealand||Surf Life Saving New Zealand||Surfing New Zealand|
|Swimming New Zealand||Synchro Swim New Zealand||Table Tennis New Zealand|
|Taekwondo New Zealand Incorporated||Tennis NZ||Touch New Zealand|
|Triathlon New Zealand||University and Tertiary Sport NZ||Volleyball New Zealand Incorporated|
|Waka Ama New Zealand||Wrestling New Zealand||Yachting New Zealand|
|Special Olympics New Zealand||Halberg Disability Sport Foundation||NZ Paralympics|