Christchurch City Council Small Sports Event Fund
Check dates with funder
Always open for applications?
• The event must be a Trans-Tasman, National or South Island event (this fund excludes International events, however consideration will be given to National or South Island events that attract international participants).
• You must have a substantial number of participants attending from outside of Christchurch and our surrounding districts.
• The sporting event or activity must involve at least one night’s accommodation in Christchurch.
• The event must be aligned or have support from the National or Regional sporting association.
• Event must be held in Christchurch (Council may consider an event/activity where participants are staying in Christchurch but the competition is elsewhere).
• The event is not eligible if it has received funding from other Council sources.
• Must have public liability insurance to the value of $2,000,000.
• The application must come from an incorporated society.
• If successful the applicant must sign the Councils terms and conditions in the form of a contract.
Available to groups or individuals?
Groups may apply
The 'Growing Sport' Fund has been established in recognition that major national and South Island events also produce economic benefit to the city.
Sporting events bring participants from around New Zealand to Christchurch and provide opportunities for local sporting bodies to strengthen and develop their sport in Christchurch.The Small Sports Events Fund is open to sports associations, clubs or event managers who may make more than one application per funding round as long as each application is for a separate event.
Successful events will clearly demonstrate their contribution to the Council funding outcomes and priorities. Organisations must be able to demonstrate their ability to contribute towards their event and not rely on Council funding as their sole source of income.
The level of support provided through the Small Sports Events Fund ranges between $500 to $2,000.
Preference will be given to events that meet the following criteria:
• Events which are contestable to host i.e. need to be applied for and are allocated annually.
• Top level National events e.g Masters, Elite and Age Group.
• Top level South Island events e.g. Masters, Elite and Age Group.
• Events where 50% or more of their participants come from outside of Christchurch and surrounding districts.
• Events that attract 500 or more participants in total.
• venue hire/ground hire
• operational or project costs related to the event
• small equipment purchases for the purpose of your event
• marketing and promotional expenses
• aspects of your event relating to Health and Safety
• volunteer, referee/official operational expenses
Upper limit per grant application
$500 - $2,000
Grants made last year
Funds available last year
How to apply
The Small Sports Events Fund has now closed and will reopen in 2021
A full event budget will be required with your funding application. The budget will need to outline all event expenses and income. Budget information should be based on quotes from suppliers you intend to use. You will be able to attach the budget within the funding application.
By applying for Small Sports Events Funding you will be agreeing to the terms and conditions associated with this fund.
If you have an event you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact the Sports Promotions & Events Advisor by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 941 8999.
Online funding application form
Information required with your application
To be considered for Christchurch City Council funding you must submit a detailed application. This application should provide us with as much information as possible about the event you are organising. This includes, but is not limited to, the following information:
• contact details
• event details
• direct returns
Recreation Sports Unit Manager.
Applicants for the 2014 funding round will be contacted early July 2014 and advised of the outcome.
By phone, followed by confirmation letter.
Conditions of acceptance
Successful recipients will be required to sign Christchurch City Council's terms and conditions and a cover letter indicating the agreed rights and responsibilities of both parties.
Nothing in this document binds the Council to any grant or to any level of funding. For the avoidance of doubt:
• the Council has complete discretion as to whether to award funding and if so, to what level.
• any evaluation of the event or activity by the Council's Recreation & Sports Unit staff will be subject to final approval by the Recreation & Sports Manager. The guidelines used provide a detailed formula to be followed when considering Council support for national sporting events and activities. The guidelines are intended to support the optimum economic return.
Please feel free to send your contact details to email@example.com to be added to email database.
Sports Services Team
Christchurch City Council
P O Box 237
Phone: 03 941 5390 Fax: (03) 9418786