Sport NZ's Rural Travel Fund (Tararua)
Check dates with funder
Always open for applications?
Application for the rural travel fund is open to rural sports clubs and rural school teams with young people aged between 5-19 years who require subsidies to assist with transport expenses to local sporting competitions.
Who can apply?
School club teams and sport club teams may apply and are defined as follows:
• A school club team participating in local sport competition in weekends, that excludes inter school and intra school competitions played during school time; and/or
• A sports club team participating in organised sport competition through club membership outside of school time
Available to groups or individuals?
Groups or individuals may apply
Sport New Zealand is the new name for the government organisation responsible for sport and recreation (formerly SPARC).
The Rural Travel Fund was developed in response to concerns raised by territorial authorities about the lack of participation in sport by young people living in rural communities. Geographical isolation, urban drift, lack of employment opportunities and access to mainstream funding were identified as barriers to sport participation.
The Rural Travel Fund is designed to help subsidise travel for junior sports teams participating in local competitions. This is an interim measure until a rural participation strategy is fully developed and implemented.
Travel to sports competitions for people aged 5-19 years.
Groups that do not include young people between the age of 5 and 19.
Subsidies to assist with transport expenses to local sporting competitions.
Travel expenses that relate to representative team events and national events.
Grants made last year
Funds available last year
How to apply
Due to COVID-19 the new closing date for applications is 30 June 2020
Please contact the Council for further information and application form.
Rural Travel Fund Guidelines (438KB pdf)
Application Form (264KB pdf)
View Rural Travel Fund
Information required with your application
• Organisation details
• Purpose of funding application
• Distance travelled
• Financial details
• Information about other funding sources
• Endorsement from your affiliated club or school
Select Committee including the Sport Tararua District Co-ordinator.
The fund will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by a select committee including the Sport Tararua District Co-ordinator.
The applicants will be notified within 2 weeks of the closing date.
Letters will be sent to all applicants, successful or not.
Payment will be made by cheque.
Conditions of acceptance
• If successful, applicants MUST fill in a report form and returned by the date given by the council.
• If applicants do not return their report forms, it may jeopardise any future funding.
• Applicants MUST be able to account for the total amount allocated.
Sport Tararua District Co-ordinator
Tararua District Council
Phone: (06) 374 4136