Sir Edmund Hillary Medal
History of award
The award of the Hillary Medal was established in 2006, to recognize excellence in graduates of the Sir Edmund Hillary Programme.
The Hillary Medals will be offered on an annual basis to students currently on the Sir Edmund Hillary Programme, who will be completing their degree in the year of application.
To be eligible for consideration for the Award, applicants must demonstrate:
• a high level of academic achievement
• a very high level of achievement to date in either
• a sporting code, or
• a performing or creative art
• exceptional leadership qualities.
Number of awards
Up to two
$1,500 and a medal.
30 November 2020
30 November 2021
30 November each year
How do students apply?
Apply using the ONLINE Application form. The Award must be received by the University of Waikato Scholarships Office on the prescribed form by 30 November in each year.
Applicants should include with their application:
• A personal statement
• A curriculum vitae
• A reference from a person involved with an agency relevant to the applicant's sporting code or creative / performing art, attesting to the applicant's achievements and potential to further excel.
• A reference attesting to the applicants leadership qualities.
The personal statement submitted for this Award should cover the applicant's reasons for believing that they would make a suitable candidate for a Sir Edmund Hillary Medal. It should also highlight information relating to special contributions, demonstration of leadership, publications, and special milestones, and may include an insight into the candidate's longer-term aspirations. It may also include particular circumstances that might have impacted on the performance of the candidate at any time.
Further information available from
University of Waikato scholarships Office
The Sir Edmund Hillary Scholarships Executive Group may, at its discretion, require the applicant to undertake an interview or audition.
The Sir Edmund Hillary Scholarships Executive Group will decide on the recipients of the Sir Edmund Hillary Medal.
Successful applicants will be advised of the offer of an Award in writing and must advise the University's Scholarships Office of their acceptance of the offer by the prescribed date.
Conditions of acceptance
Awards will be made in the following areas:
• One medal will normally be awarded to a graduating student deemed to have performed at the highest level in a creative or performing arts discipline.
• One medal will normally be awarded to a graduating student deemed to have performed at the highest level in their chosen sport.
University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
Phone: +64 7 838 4489