Tararua District Council International Representative Scheme
History of award
Individuals may apply for funds from this scheme for the following purposes.
The International Representatives Scheme has been established to provide funding for amateur athletes when selected to represent New Zealand, through the national body and/or international body's qualifying criteria, for an international event where two or more countries are participating.
Athletes, who are not professional athletes, qualify for funding when selected to represent New Zealand, through the national body and/or international body's qualifying criteria, for an international event where two or more countries are participating. The term professional is interpreted in the following manner: 'Professional - the person earns a living from participating in a sport. Sport is their main source of income and if asked they would say that being a sportsperson was their profession.'
• International Representatives must reside within the Tararua District.
• Funding must be applied for prior to the event.
Number of awards
see 'Additional Information'
How do students apply?
Applications are available on an ongoing basis during the financial year 1 July to 30 June.
Complete applications available from Tararua District Council website link provided below must be received by the Administrator one month prior to travel. Incomplete applications will not qualify.
Your application must be accompanied by the following information:
• Applicants must be formally recognised by the national body. Applications must have formal independent notification of selection into a New Zealand team.
• Whether there are other team members representing New Zealand at the same event who have been selected from within the Tararua District.
• A detailed budget of income and expenses to attend the event including:
- subsidy from any source, including National Sports Organisation, SPARC, New Zealand Olympic and Commonwealth Games Association.
- other sources of funding received and/or applied for.
• A brief sporting CV of the achievements of the applicant to date, specific to this application.
Guidelines and Application Form
Coaches and officials are not eligible to receive this grant.
Funding grants available are up to a maximum of $500 if competing within the Pacific/Oceania Region and up to a maximum of $800 if competing within the rest of the world.
Tararua District Council - The amount awarded is based on the applicant's budget and the distance of travel to an international event.
As soon as possible after receipt of the completed application. The grant is paid on receipt of confirmation from the National Body of selection to the event. In the event of non-attendance, the grant must be repaid within 90 days.
Conditions of acceptance
• The Council expects International Representative grant recipients to give back to their sport and district by such ways as making role model visits to schools or presentation of coaching workshops.
• International Representatives are to report back in writing to the Council on the experience of participating at the international event.
Sport Tararua District Co-ordinator
Tararua District Council
Phone: (06) 374 4136