Academic Excellence Scholarship (Hospitality and Tourism)
History of award
This is one of many undergraduate scholarships offered by the Faculty of Culture and Society of Auckland University of Technology.
The purpose of this scholarship is to attract high achieving students into undergraduate degree level study in the School of Hospitality and Tourism. The degree programmes include International Tourism Management, Hospitality Management, Culinary Arts and Event Management.
• Applicants must be NZ citizens or permanent residents
• Applicants must be full-time students who have been accepted to commence an undergraduate degree programme, in the year following application, in the School of Hospitality and Tourism: Bachelor of International Hospitality Management, Bachelor of International Tourism Management, Bachelor of Arts (Event Management) or Bachelor of Arts (Culinary Arts)
• The scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic excellence and leadership qualities
• Applicants will have as a minimum, one of the following:
- NCEA 245 rank score
- CIE a minimum of 160 points on the UCAS Tariff
- IB Principal’s predicted score 26
The rank score is calculated from university approved subjects (or in subjects leading to university approved subjects) studied in the year prior to application only and at Level 2 NCEA or AS (CIE) level or above. Students who have been accelerated may use relevant subjects from one year prior to this, however, a maximum of 24 credits only may be used in any one subject. The Information to assist calculating the rank score is available from the on-line Scholarships Application Form. To assist with rank score calculation also see: www.aut.ac.nz/study-at-aut/apply-to-aut/entry-requirements/admission-to-bachelors-degrees/additional- requirements-and-selection-criteria.
Number of awards
The scholarship consists of a $6,500 contribution towards fees
The first year of study in the degree programme only.
01 September 2018
01 September 2019
How do students apply?
A link to the application form will be available in July of the year prior to commencement from the AUT Scholarships database www.aut.ac.nz/scholarships . Application is through the AUT online scholarship portal. Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria and complete the AUT School Leaver Scholarship Application online via the link available through the AUT Scholarships Database.
Applicants will be required to upload the following documents:
• A one-page personal statement explaining the reasons for wishing to attend AUT, the academic goals they hope to achieve and any career aspirations they have. Applicants should also state why they believe they merit the scholarship.
• A copy of NZQA results for year 12 or above i.e. NCEA, CIE (Cambridge) or IB (International Baccalaureate) results. Applicants not applying straight from school should attach a copy of the results for their highest qualification.
REFERENCES: Applicants must nominate two character references in support of their application. Nominated referees will be sent an email from the application portal.
• One referee should be from the school, cultural group, religious group, sports club, work place or a community organisation that the applicant is involved with.
• The second must be from their Principal or Principal’s nominee. If the applicant is studying IB this should include the Principal’s predicted IB score.
All documentation must be received by the closing date inclusive of reference statements or the application will not be able to be submitted and will be considered ineligible.
No scholarship will be awarded upon any occasion if the panel is of the opinion that there is no applicant of sufficient merit applying for the award.
Applicants will be considered by a selection panel from the School of Hospitality and Tourism.
The tenure of this scholarship is for the first year of study in the degree programme–one year only.
Conditions of acceptance
This scholarship may not be held in conjunction with any other fees scholarship.
The recipient may hold additional non-tuition fee based scholarships with the approval of the Head of School and the Scholarships Office.
Auckland University of Technology
Phone: +64 9 921 9837