New Zealand Harkness Fellowships
History of award
The New Zealand Harkness Fellowships were established in 2009 by the New Zealand Harkness Fellowships Trust Board to reinforce links between New Zealand and the US and to enable emerging leaders in the public and private sectors to benefit from study and travel in the US.
Their purpose is to enable appointed Fellows to gain first-hand knowledge and build contacts in their chosen field of endeavour that will be highly relevant to the NZ context and future NZ/US links. The Trust Board is working in partnership with the Leadership Development Centre, which is acting on behalf of the NZ Government.
To be eligible, you must:
– be a New Zealand citizen who is currently residing in New Zealand;
– be an early to mid-career professional active in any part of the public sector;
– be a potential leader and opinion-former in your chosen field;
– have an interest in learning from your experience in the US and be capable of putting to effect in NZ, relevant lessons learned.
The Fellowship is not intended for post-graduate or academic research. It provides an opportunity for emerging leaders in New Zealand to develop their ideas, practices and contacts in the US.
Number of awards
valued at up to NZ$30,000 (for an award start date in 2019).
The period of your award is a minimum of eight weeks and a maximum of twelve weeks with a 2019 award start date as negotiated with the Harkness Fellowship Trust NZ;
15 October 2020
15 October 2021
Closing date: 15 October annually
How do students apply?
You must complete and submit the application form below by the application deadline. You must also submit all required support documents to us by the application deadline. These include:
A CV of no more than four pages;
A scan of the photo page of your passport;
A letter of invitation from a potential host organisation in the US;
A short statement about any previous experience in the US;
A statement from your employer about your leadership experience and potential;
A letter from your employer confirming their support for your participation in the programme;
A one-page project statement; and
References from three referees (the letter from your employer can count).
Further information available from
If you have any questions concerning eligibility or the application process, please contact:
Kyla Orr, Programme Manager
Telephone: +64 4 494 1501 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The programme has four goals:
– Support emerging leaders seeking to better understand emerging disruptive change so they can help build a better public sector.
– Reinforce New Zealand-United States links by enabling actual or potential leaders and opinion formers in New Zealand to benefit from new ideas, practices and new contacts in the US;
– Help improve the cross-fertilisation of ideas and experience between New Zealand and the United States; and
– Build a leadership network on both sides of the Pacific, encourage ongoing exchange between New Zealand and the United States and establish enduring relationships offering reciprocal benefits to both countries.
Interviews will be held in Wellington on Thursday 8 November 2018. Fulbright New Zealand will pay the costs of travel to Wellington only for applicants residing in New Zealand. Applicants outside New Zealand who are unable to attend an interview in person may be disadvantaged.
We will advise you of the outcome of your application shortly after the interviews in November.
Conditions of acceptance
You must travel on a NZ passport, and US immigration documentation must be completed from within New Zealand;
You will be expected to take the opportunity to deliver seminars or speak with various groups as opportunities arise;
You may be required to fulfil some Harkness media requirements before your departure for the US, during your exchange and/or on return to the NZ;
You must provide Harkness (via Fulbright New Zealand) with copies of any articles or research papers resulting from your Fellowship. A final report must also be completed before you depart from the US.
Fulbright New Zealand
PO Box 3465
Phone: +64 4 494 1504