It’s how you play the game
29 June 2017
This PWC report presents a framework for helping a city or region decide which event to host, based on key questions under the categories of overall readiness, venues, legacy, supporting infrastructure and intellectual capital. It explores a number of key aspects on hosting sports event, including ways in which a city or region can maximise the impact of hosting events.
"The appeal of marquee sports mega-events such as the Olympics and football’s FIFA World CupTM is undeniable. Cities the world over jockey to host these high-profile events, undeterred by the substantial costs, extensive planning, and inflexible timelines.
"What motivates the fierce competition to host these events? Are the risks worth the rewards? In fact, these marquee global events do possess inherently
singular features that are not easily replicated:
- Their attendant deadlines mandate discipline and commitment.
- They offer rare opportunities for positioning in the spotlight of intense media attention.
- They necessitate collaboration between the various levels of government.
- They require the public and private sectors to cooperate.
- They mobilize national pride toward a common goal.
- They celebrate human achievement."