New Governance 101 online training – now live
11 June 2019
Sport New Zealand is delighted to announce that the new introduction to governance course is live on the SportTutor learning platform.
NO CHARGE – available to all
- High quality interactive training
- Covering the key principles of not for profit governance
- Connected to the governance framework for sport and recreation
- 2-3 hours to complete
What the course focusses on
- Clarity of purpose and setting outcomes
- The board as genuine governors – acting as a layer of ownership rather than a layer of management
- Being accountable for the use of time and money
The course responds to the findings of the 2014 benchmark review of governance in the sector.
Six modules and a short assessment
- What's my job? The role of the director
- What’s our job? The strategic role of the board
- Who does the job? Recruiting and retaining the best people
- Let’s meet. Inside the boardroom
- Who do we work for? Accountability, ethics and integrity
- What’s next? Actions and further resource
Who is the course for?
- Aimed at not for profit directors on “governance boards”. Generally where there is a logical governance/staff separation.
- All directors on these boards, even experienced practitioners will find the refresher useful.
- Chief executives and senior staff.
- Anyone with a sector development perspective inside RSTs or NSOs.
- The modules are broadly generic with limited sport specificity. They are available to the wider NFP sector.
Strong use of video
Contributions from experienced sector practitioners:
Jane Huria, Sue Suckling, Jan Dawson, Peter Fitzsimmons, Dame Therese Walsh, Diana Puketapu, Jennifer Gill and Prue Younger and David Rutherford.
Contributions from governance practitioners:
Graeme Nahkies, Terry Kilmister, Simon Telfer and Iain McCormick