Safer recruitment is central to safeguarding tamariki and rangatahi.
Organisations should ensure that all staff and volunteers who work with children and young people are safe and appropriate to work with children. We know that people who seek to harm children and young people target organisations in paid or voluntary roles.
All organisations should have a safer recruitment policy and procedures in place that applies to all staff and regular volunteers who are employed or engaged by the club/organisation, this includes contractors working in the club/organisation.
Safer Recruitment Policy
Code of Conduct
In the Safer Recruitment Policy, find out more about the following aspects of safer recruitment:
- advertising roles
- identity verification – proof that people are who they say, including former identities
- background information – thorough Police, records, history and behaviour checks
You will also find:
- suggested questions to ask at an interview
- questions to ask referees
- areas of potential concern
- a safe recruitment checklist for staff and volunteers
- a volunteer screening form.
More child protection guidance