Resources and relevant information for Chairs, directors and trustees.
The situation in New Zealand and across the world is changing rapidly during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a Chair, director or trustee you may be looking for information on how to understand and approach the challenges this presents. The current situation has heightened the need to be very clear about central governance concepts and put a focus on purpose and evidence-based decision making. Great organisations spend equal time deciding what not to do, as what to do.
To assist during this time, we collated some resources specially related to governance which we hope will help inform and guide you as you lead your organisation through the immediate crisis and into the future.
Sport NZ is continuing to follow the advice of the lead Government agencies who are issuing the most up to date information on matters such as health, travel, employment and events management during the COVID-19 pandemic. For a list of these organisations, see our information for the sector here.
Immediate Covid-19 Information Resources
- Guidance to strategic planning
- Legislation Update: Business Debt Hibernation
- Navigating Through Rough Seas: For-purpose Board Leadership in times of crisis
- ‘Safe Harbours’ and what this means for Governance Boards of Sporting Organisations
- Board oversight during the COVID-19 pandemic: A checklist for directors
- Insolvency relief for businesses impacted by COVID-19
- Solvency test checklist for directors
- Legal guidance on AGMs and statutory obligations
- Decision-making and supporting board papers
- Tips for chairing in the time of physical separation
- How to move board meetings to the virtual world
- Navigating through unprecedented times – a series from Chapman Tripp
- Governors as leaders: four simple steps, highly applicable to governance leadership, that will make a real difference to your CEO
- Video: How to collaborate with the enemy. For boards turning their minds to collaboration as an opportunity to create a new and different play, active reaction and sporting sector, this video (forwarded to us by Boardworks International) looks at a few steps of how to approach this successfully.
- Employment relations advice
- Wellbeing and resilience strategies for coping with COVID-19
- BoardPro software subsidy offer
Note: Sport NZ and BoardPro fully subsidise the first year of a two-year subscription for Governance Mark accredited boards. Contact Julie Hood for more details.
- 10 questions for boards in a COVID-19 world – by Boardworks International
- Getting ahead of the next stage of COVID-19: scenario planning for the future
- Nine Steps to Effective Governance: for resources, templates and guidance documents as boards review and implement updated governance systems, polices, processes and ways of working
- From surviving to thriving: Reimagining the post-COVID-19 return: Four focus areas for boards as they reposition their organisations including the opportunity to reimagine the future and the increasing importance technology will play.
News and opinion
- 3 April: Government announces new plans to help keep struggling businesses afloat
- 4 April: Why a wartime mentality is needed
- 11 May: Remote Work Is Sinking In: And the impact is bigger than we realised – a timely research backed article on emerging trends for new approaches to working post COVID-19
Please reach out to Julie Hood if you have further questions in relation to Governance and Planning support.