18 May 2014
How to be active
Young Kiwis should:
- do 60 minutes or more of moderate to vigorous physical activity each day
- be active in as many ways as possible
- be active with friends and whanau at home, school and in the community
- spend less than two hours a day, out of school time, in front of a TV, computer or game console.
This should be moderate to vigorous exercise and that means an increased heart rate and some huffing and puffing. The 60 minutes can be completed all at once or in chunks throughout the day. This might include:
- playing games
- walking, running or riding a bike to get from place to place
- participating in cultural activities such as kapa haka
- dancing Tamariki giving heart and soul kapa haka performance.
Being active is a great way to spend time with family and friends, explore the local community or re-energise during break times at school.