Publications and other resources about effective board leadership.
A companion volume to the Nine steps to good governance, this guide covers chairs at all stages of development.
Templates and good practice
Board room competencies (DOC 30.0 KB)
Commitment letter for new directors (DOC 30.5 KB)
Forms of agenda (DOC 55.5 KB)
Board paper structure (DOC 63.0 KB)
Using the board's expertise (PDF 138 KB)
Ten things a chair must know (PDF 189 KB)
Key aspects of the chairman's role (PDF 160 KB)
Eight basic expectations a chief executive has of his or her board (PDF 182 KB)
Board-CEO relationship (PDF 176 KB)
CEO-chair relationship (PDF 170 KB)
Quiet time - when the board meets alone (PDF 127 KB)
Relevant information only please - board papers (PDF 195 KB)
Writing for the board (PDF 92.5 KB)
Writing for the board (2) Structure of reports (suggested structure for board) (PDF 92.5 KB)
Difficult conversations (PDF 334 KB)
Dealing to board meeting time wasters (PDF 139 KB)
When the CEO's tail wags the board's dog (PDF 160 KB)
The Board Leadership Team - exploring structural options (PDF 190 KB)
- Greenleaf, Robert, K. Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness. New York: Paulist Press, 1977.
- Carver, John. The Case for a CGO. Board Leadership # 56. July-August 2001.
- Carver, John. On Board Leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002, p 178.
- Bosch, Henry. The Director at Risk: Accountability in the Boardroom. South Melbourne: Pitman Publishing, 1995.
- Pick, Katharina. First Among Equals: Leading Your Fellow Directors as a Board Chair. In Boardroom Realities, (ed)J Conger, 2009.
- Leblanc, Richard. Inside the Boardroom. Canada: John Wiley and Sons, 2005. & Gillies, James.
- Carver, John. The Unique Double Servant Leader Role of the Board Chairperson. Sourced from the Reprint File: www.carvergovernance.com.