All aspects of planning in sport. The strategic process is considered in detail with a range of experts providing different perspectives.
Varying approaches to creative thinking and problem solving are included in the Planning in sport booklet. It covers the whole of sport, community, high performance and other forms of planning that fit into the business and strategic plans.
Sport New Zealand publications
- Nine steps to effective governance
- The role of the board chair
- Risk management toolkit
- People management toolkit
- Creating a stakeholder plan
- Kawasaki, Guy.Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds and Actions. UK: Penguin, 2011.
- Simons, Annette.The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence and Persuasion Through the Arts of Storytelling. Basic Books, 2006.
Business model canvas
- General information
- Lean canvas version – fast-track modelling
- The non-profit canvas
- Starter diagrams and questions to ask
- Business model canvas explained (video)
- The non-profit business model canvas explained (video)
- Précis of the concept and book review
- Strategic co-opetition: the value of relationships in the networked economy
Further thinking tools
- Brandenburger, Adam J and Barry J Nalebuff. Co-opetition. New York: Doubleday, 1997.
- Bilton, Chris and Stephen Cummings. Creative Strategy: Reconnecting Business and Innovation. John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Osterwald, Alexander and Yves Pigneur.Business Model Generation. John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Snowden, David J and Mary E Boone. 'A leader's framework for decision making'. Harvard Business Review 85, no. 11 (2007): 68-75.
Sport NZ resources
Strategy and planning
- National Council for Non-Profits (US)
- McKinsey article on the building blocks of strategy
- Interview with McKinsey partners on the evolution of strategic thinking
- David Kryscynski discusses “what is strategy?”(video)
- A range of whiteboard presentations for different strategy tools
- Scenario and contingency planning resources from Bain & Co
Purpose, vision, values
General strategy resources
- Flipboard magazine
- Strategic Management Bureau
- Strategy and business from Booz & Co
- McKinsey e-letter
- Harvard Business Review videos
Eden, C and Ackermann, F. Making Strategy: The Journey of Strategic Management. London: Sage Publications, 1998.
- Better evaluation
- Kellog Foundation
- State Services Commission
- Evaluation Consult
- New Zealand Rugby Union scorecard
- Kaplan, R S and D P Norton. 'The balanced scorecard - measures that drive performance'. Harvard Business Review (Feb 1992).
- Kaplan, R S and D P Norton. 'Putting the balanced scorecard to work'. Harvard Business Review (Sept 1993).
- Kaplan, R S and D P Norton.The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy Into Action. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 1996.
Sport NZ resources
- Business plan template (DOC 80KB)
- Financial policies and procedures
- Guidelines for children and young people aged 5 to 18 years
- Social media gameplan
Good practice in the sector
- Gymsports New Zealand coach education framework
- Tennis New Zealand coaching strategy
- Rugby coach development strategy
- Tri NZ HP plan to 2020. Good practice document. Obviously some sensitivity as this is a live and current document. HPDs interested in learnings please talk to your performance consultant at HPSNZ.
- Facilities plan - Hockey New Zealand
- Knowledge management guide (Sport NZ)
- Report on knowledge findings among the regional sports trusts (RSTs) 2011 (Sport NZ)
- Knowledge jolt with Jack
- American Productivity & Quality Center (APQC)
Information and research
In fact research summary series
Research and reports - for inquiries related to Sport NZ research phone 04 472 8058 and ask for the Research team.