Rugby World Cup 2011 volunteering resources
11 June 2019
Covers planning, recruitment, training, volunteer compliance, uniform distribution, scheduling, reward and recognition, research and reporting.
The 2011 Rugby World Cup was supported by New Zealand's biggest ever volunteer effort. Officially called the Rugby World Cup 2011 Volunteer Programme, it saw an unpaid workforce of more than 5000 play a crucial role in the delivery of a great sporting event.
The programme also delivered an important post-tournament legacy of knowledge, skills and resources that will benefit New Zealand’s future major events management and volunteering in general. On this page we've gathered many of the resources produced by Rugby New Zealand 2011 that compose this legacy.
The Volunteer Programme comprised the following key stages:
- Volunteer compliance
- Uniform distribution
- Reward and recognition
Please note we are aware some of the powerpoint presentations may not be accessible for some users. We are working to fix this.
Below are the key planning documents that set the programme's strategic direction. These documents tie all of the key stages together.
- Strategic Plan (PDF, 195 Kb)
- Detailed Operations Plan (PDF, 1.19 Mb)
- Team 2011 Brand Book (PDF, 8.47 Mb)
This section contains three key components that made up the RWC Volunteer recruitment process and key documents used at each stage.
Example launch media release (PDF, 362 Kb). Outlines how the volunteer programme was launched and includes the launch event run sheet.
- Radio advertisement to promote the national roadshow.
- Roadshow presentation (PPTX, 6.28 Mb)
- Recruitment video played in cinemas around the country.
- Fridge magnet (PDF, 189 Kb) with registration URL handed out at the roadshow presentations.
- Example recruitment poster (PDF, 3.09 Mb)
Role descriptions for all the different jobs:
- Accreditation Role Description (PDF, 157 Kb)
- Catering Role Description (PDF, 148 Kb)
- Ceremonies Role Description (PDF, 149 Kb)
- City Operations Role Description (PDF, 153 Kb)
- Media Operations Role Description (PDF, 151 Kb)
- Sports Presentation Role Description (PDF, 150 Kb)
- Ticketing Role Description (PDF, 130 Kb)
- Tourist Info Role Description (PDF, 149 Kb)
- Transport Role Description (PDF, 670 Kb)
- VIP Role Description (PDF, 399 Kb)
- Workforce Role Description (PDF, 148 Kb)
Training information for those conducting interview sessions
Interviewer overview presentation (PPTX, 6.55 Mb) to show how the interview session will run.
Role descriptions for each interview helper role:
- Regional Assistants Role Description - Check In (PDF, 165 Kb)
- Regional Assistants Role Description - Interviewer (PDF, 171 Kb)
- Regional Assistants Role Description - Uniforms (PDF, 169 Kb)
- Regional Assistants Role Description - Data Entry (PDF, 294 Kb)
- Ranking document (PDF, 246 Kb) showing how each volunteer was subjectively rated following their interview.
- Accreditation photo taking instructions (PDF, 268 Kb)
Volunteer interview documents
Video overview of the interview session and expectations of a RWC volunteer (YouTube).
Role specific interview templates that each volunteer filled in prior to their one on one interview:
- Accreditation Interview Template (PDF, 137 Kb)
- Catering Interview Template (PDF, 145 Kb)
- Ceremonies Interview Template (PDF, 148 Kb)
- City Operations Interview Template (PDF, 148 Kb)
- Match Team Interview Template (PDF, 135 Kb)
- Media Operations Interview Template (PDF, 134 Kb)
- Sport Presentation Interview Template (PDF, 138 Kb)
- Ticketing Interview Template (PDF, 142 Kb)
- Tourist Information Interview Template (PDF, 148 Kb)
- Transport Interview Template (PDF, 166 Kb)
- VIP Interview Template (PDF, 148 Kb)
- Workforce Interview Template (PDF, 158 Kb)
The training section includes example content for each of the key phases of the RWC Volunteer training programme.
Train the trainer training
- Train the Trainer Workshop Facilitators Guide (PDF, 924 Kb)
Team leader training
- Team Leader Workshop Facilitators Guide (PDF, 1.06 Mb)
- Team Leader Training Workshop Presentation (PPTX, 4.98 Mb)
- Team Leader Training Manual (PDF, 9.08 Mb)
- Energiser – Human Bingo Game (PPTX, 377 Kb)
- Functional Area ‘Go Fish’ card game (PPTX, 1.93 Mb)
Online orientation training
- Module 1: Overview of the Orientation Training (PDF, 599 Kb)
- Module 2: About RWC 2011 (PDF, 571 Kb)
- Module 3: About Team 2011 (PDF, 642 Kb)
- Module 4: Showcasing New Zealand (PDF, 691 Kb)
- Module 5: Customer Excellence (PDF, 746 Kb)
- Module 6: Visitor Expectations (PDF, 567 Kb)
- Module 7: Accessibility & Disability (PDF, 591 Kb)
- Module 8: Personal & Public Safety (PDF, 446 Kb)
- Module 9: Orientation Training Questions (PDF, 819 Kb)
Online role specific training
- Module 1: Hosting and Welcome Overview (PDF, 362 Kb)
- Module 2: He Ringa Manaaki With Open Arms (PDF, 314 Kb)
- Module 3: Showcasing Your Region (PDF, 421 Kb)
- Module 1: Overview (PDF)
- Module 2: Fleet Coordination (PDF, 364 Kb)
- Module 3: Driving Best Practice (PDF, 410 Kb)
- Module 1 - VIP Welcome and Overview (PDF, 343 Kb)
- Module 2 - A day in the life of a VIP (PDF, 497 Kb)
- Module 3 - Key attributes of a VIP Host (PDF, 362 Kb)
Face-to-face role specific training
- Facilitator Guide - Host Role Specific Workshop (PDF, 977 Kb)
- Host Role Specific Workshop Presentation (PPTX, 20.73 Mb)
- Host Role Specific Card Game (PPTX, 620 Kb)
- Host Training Manual (PDF, 1.11 Mb)
- Facilitator Guide - Transport Role Specific Workshop (PDF, 890 Kb)
- Transport Role Specific Workshop Presentation (PPTX, 24.19 Mb)
- Transport Training Manual (PDF, 2.65 Mb)
- Facilitator Guide – VIP Role Specific Workshop (PDF, 914 Kb)
- VIP Role Specific Workshop Presentation (PDF, 1.27 Mb)
- VIP Role Specific Card game (PPTX, 716 Kb)
- VIP Training Manual (PDF, 944 Kb)
- Facilitators Guide – Workforce Role Specific Workshop (PDF, 884 Kb)
- Workforce Role Specific Workshop Presentation (PPTX, 22.78 Mb)
- Workforce Role Specific Card Game (PPTX, 580 Kb)
- Workforce Training Manual (PDF, 1.27 Mb)
- Accreditation Training Manual (PDF, 2.45 Mb)
- Catering Training Manual (PDF, 796 Kb)
- Sport Presentation Training Manual (PDF, 961 Kb)
- Generic Section of Training Manual (PDF, 3.03 Mb)
Venue Specific Training
- Venue Specific Training Guidelines (PDF, 342 Kb)
- Venue Specific Training Checklist (PDF, 352 Kb)
- Venue Specific Training example presentation (PPTX, 22.99 Mb)
- Team 2011 Pocket Guide (PDF, 6.91 Mb)
- Pocket Guide Reference Card Inserts (PDF, 2.2 Mb)
This section includes the Terms and Conditions used for each RWC Volunteer application and the Volunteer Code of Conduct that each volunteer agreed to when accepting their RWC Volunteer role offer.
- Terms and Conditions (PDF, 222 Kb) for RWC 2011 Volunteer application.
- Volunteer Code of Conduct (PDF, 121 Kb)
The RWC Volunteer uniform received great feedback from the volunteers themselves and the general public including overseas visitors, in this section you will find:
- Volunteer uniform design visuals (PDF, 1.13 Mb)
- Uniform order form (PDF, 17 Kb) used to collect sizes at the volunteer interviews.
- Guidelines (PDF, 1.34 Mb) of how the uniforms were distributed.
- Flow diagram (PPTX, 721 Kb) to show the procedure of distribution including accreditation pick up.
Scheduling is a key component of managing large groups of people. With over 5000 RWC Volunteers working across the country, and at multiple venues, the following system scoping document was required to develop the scheduling system.
- Scheduling System Scoping Document (PDF, 789 Kb)
Reward and recognition
- Reward and recognition ideas document (PDF, 195 Kb)
- Reward and recognition example collateral items (PDF, 198 Kb)
- Mosaic poster (PDF, 2.93 Mb) made up of all the volunteer accreditation photos.
- Recognition certificate with medal (JPG)
- Fact sheet (PDF, 283 Kb) of the UMR research into the public perception to the RWC Volunteers.
- Summary key learnings report (PDF, 641 Kb) from Rugby New Zealand 2011.
Documents relating to Rugby World Cup 2011 were produced specifically for the RWC 2011 Volunteer Programme delivered in 2011. These documents are being made available through Sport New Zealand to assist event organisers or managers of volunteers to develop their own Volunteer Programme. Documents are provided for reference only and are not for reproduction. © Rugby World Cup Limited 2011. The RWC 2011 logo was reproduced on documents under licence from Rugby World Cup Limited. The ANZ logo was reproduced on documents under licence from ANZ National Bank Limited.
To the extent permitted by law, Rugby World Cup Limited, Rugby New Zealand 2011 Limited and New Zealand Rugby Union Inc do not accept any responsibility or liability whatsoever, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), equity or otherwise for any loss, damage or expenses (whether direct or indirect or consequential) arising out of or in connection with the use of, or reliance on, documents relating to Rugby World Cup 2011 or any information contained therein. All warranties, representations and guarantees (whether express, implied or statutory), including as to accuracy and completeness, are excluded.